Winterizing Your Home
It is getting to be that time of year again. Here are some tips to winterize your home:
- Check for leaks: Replace worn weather stripping and caulk.
- Replace old windows with energy efficient ones or install plastic window seal.
- Draft stoppers can be attached to doors. Hire a contractor to perform a blower test to locate air leaks.
- Install foam gaskets behind wall switch plates.
- Close the damper on your fireplace when not in use.
- Close crawlspace vents during the summer and winter and open them in spring and fall.
- Check your heating and a/c: Hire professionals to clean, check, and lubricate the system.
- Replace your heater’s air filter monthly.… Update old heating systems.
- Use a setback thermostat, which turns the system down when you are, then back up when you are home.
- In winter, set your ceiling fans so they blow upward to circulate heat without chilling you.
- Check insulation: Check for adequate insulation — floor, wall, ceiling.
- Check outside: Trim trees and dead branches.
- Clean your gutters to prevent blocked drainage.
- Install a chimney screen to block falling leaves.
- Keep snow and ice from around your garage door.
- Make sure steps and handrails are in good condition.
- Drain gasoline from lawn mowers and other equipment only used in summer.
Need local contractors? I have a list, call/text/email me and I am happy to share names!
410 Peachtree Pkwy., Ste. 330 | Cumming, GA 30041
C. 404.217.6258 | O. 770.889.3051